Dental Checkups and follow up visits to a dentist would allow for any oral dental examination like the following:
- Diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Detecting decay of tooth, tumors, cysts or bone loss along with the position of tooth and root.
- Oral cancer screening: Checking face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Evaluation of Periodontitis or any sign of periodontal disease: A check for any sign of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces are tested and checked with special dental instruments for decay, crowns or any existing restorations or current fillings.
Professional Dental Cleaning
- Removal of Calculus – Calculus is the mineralized plaque. It is porous in nature. For this reason it absorbs the various toxic products which can damage the periodontal tissues. Hence calculus should be accurately detected and be removed thoroughly for any adequate periodontal therapy.
- Removal of Plaque – Plaque is the sticky colorless deposit of bacteria staining teeth forming after four to twelve hours of brushing. Plaque formation is the primary reason for gum problems. To fight the buildup of plaque on teeth is a good oral care and it could be done only if it is removed properly with the help of the dentist. Otherwise the bacteria would produce toxins inflaming the gums, the beginning of the periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing – Tooth polish is the smoothening of tooth surface with a prophy cup, a small motorized rubber cup. The effect of polish is to stop the deposition of plaque on the tooth surface area. Such stains are not removed during normal tooth brushing and scaling.