TMJ known as temporomandibular joint connects jaw to skull. The injury or damage of such joint can lead to a disorder called temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome.
Causes of such syndrome
- Reason for such syndrome is injury to teeth or jaw which might occur due to the unconscious chewing of ice causing cracks on teeth leading to permanent damage on teeth.
- Misalignment of teeth or jaw is another reason for such syndrome.
- Even Bruxism, excessive grinding and clenching unconsciously while sleeping in most cases but could occur during day too is another cause of such disorder.
- Poor posture, stress related factors, arthritis and gum chewing are the other causes of TMJ disorders.
Signs or symptoms of TMJ Syndrome
Pain in the joint of jaw, clicking of the jaw, ear pain, popping sounds in ear, headaches, pain in the temple area, locking of the jaw or stiff jaw muscles are the main symptoms of TMJ Syndrome.
Home remedies for TMJ Syndrome
In many cases the ice packs in jaw joints work effectively. Some anti-inflammatory drugs popularly known as NSAIDs also heal the joint pain.
When to visit the dentist
After the home treatment fails to achieve the desired result, then immediate medical attention is required. Dental splints, Botox injections, physical therapy, medications and in most severe cases surgery is also performed for TMJ Syndrome.
Risk factors for TMJ Syndrome
- Women aged between 18 and 45 years have increased risk of this syndrome.
- People with chronic inflammatory arthritis have increased risk.
- People with poorly positioned teeth and having jaw trauma are susceptible to the risk of TMJ disorder.
Generally the treatment focuses on therapy with special exercises, cold and heat compression therapy and some methods of stress reduction to get TMJ relief.